Translate

Sunday, August 9, 2009

srambled in Singapore: Jul'09



Mostly I will be staying one night in Singapore only for transit. But this time was kind of shocking since I had to stay there for a week and it’s for business. I couldn't even bear staying a night in Singapore since I found the country is dull. According to an article in Bloomberg magazine: “Everything in Singapore is so well organized. Everything is so efficient”. Luckily, Lonely Planet saved me from the threatening dullness and turned it into interesting moment to spend. I had my free hour after 5 pm during the week to wander around.

I wandered around with Asti, my colleague. Then, what did we do? Shopping of course. Well technically, Asti did the shoes shopping while I watched her and other shoppers shopping. I am not against shopping binge like this. Instead, I look at shoppers as heroes who helps supporting the economic growth as long as they don't mainly finance it with debt that far beyond their income. Once you are out from a MRT station, you will instantly be surrounded by a mall or a market.


Besides the stores and malls, we also went to Chinatown. Yes, we can shop also in Chinatown. But, that's not the main goal. We went to Singapore’s Hindu temple, Sri Mariamman Temple, which was built in1827. We stayed there for a while to see a ceremony. I did not know what ceremony it was.

Satisfying taking some pictures and seeing the ceremony, we went to Buddha Tooth Relic Temple. It’s already night and the temple was closed. Hence, we were only able to take pictures from the outside. But even from the outside, the temple looks striking. I wish I could go inside.

We took a break at Chinatown food street. The atmosphere there was great that could ease our tired feet after short roaming along Chinatown. By the way, what exactly the relation between a place atmosphere and my feet condition? It just great. You could find a lot of foodstall along the street. Everyone seems relaxed. On the way back to Chinatown MRT, we passed Chinatown night market where sellers fill in both side of streets with colourful and attractive traditional goods. However, you could find cheaper goods at Mustofa Center. Overall, Chinatown was a great place to wander around. On the left side, you can find a Hindu temple; on the right side you can find a Buddhist temple; and in beetwen it, you can find Chinesse food and night market. Highly recommended to start walking on the afternoon, but you must notice the opening hour of the temples.

We also went to Singapore flyer on courtesy of our colleagues in the morning. I think it will be better if you take it at night when you can see the city’s lights from above. On the other hand by having it at noon, we were able to see places that were explained in the tape.


We closed our journey (I mean our business trip) by watching Singapore Symphony Orchestra playing Postcards from Heaven at Esplanade Concert Hall. It was beautifully played with Lan Shui as the conductor. We sat on the left side balcon in front so we could see the shifting among the violin players, the bass players and other players. I was speachless listening and seeing the orchestra.

Ok, that’s it all. That’s all the activities for a week?!! Well, since this was actually a business trip, we couldn’t go out every night to keep our fitness during the day. But, I had changed my mind. Singapore can be attractive and challenging also. Scrambled in Singapore? The opposite of well organized in a unique way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment